Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Bright Future

My daughter is spending this week with her Dad and I find myself with free time.

Free time is usually a good thing, but this is the summer before her senior year in high school and I find myself wondering what in the world I will do with myself when she goes off to college.

We have a fine university in our town, but she wants to attend a Christian college a couple of hours away. I'm quite proud of her, but since she is my baby, and since I am divorced and just turned 54, the isolated and abandoned future looms ahead of me.

Fortunately for me, God moved in another mysterious way today.

As I was checking blog labels for another blog at Technorati, I came across a couple of good blogs for women. There are many more, but I only had time to read two.

The first one is the Superhero Journal. This journal is just what I needed to read today.

The post that inspired me the most is "permission granted."

#2. Tiny slices
Stop waiting for some grand sprawl of time to do something creative. Use the little slices. Quiet those gremlins that tell you that you don't have the right supplies, you need a better space, you need to learn photoshop, you don't have the right camera, or you need to do laundry... and just make something. That is the best way to shut those gremlins up. They are no match for action.

My favorite way to write is in 15 minute "wild writing" bursts. I set a timer and write as fast as I can for 15 minutes. The only rule is to write quickly and never take the pen off the page. Everything I've ever written, good or bad, was done this way.


Photography is one of past loves, and while I certainly continue to take pictures, I have not always had my camera with me to capture the world's beauty when it sometimes magically appears. It has been months since I actually raised my camera with the thought of creating a great photograph.

Thanks to this artistic lady, I intend to change that.

Today, my camera will be taken out of its bag, the digital images uploaded to my computer, and it will be used. This senior year will the one where I capture as much of my daughter's life as is possible with my camera.

Today, my writing will be more focused, well, for at least 15 minutes as I start my own "wild writing" burst.

Today, I choose to see a bright, fulfilling future. I will start today so my daughter can leave the next with no regret and no pangs of guilt.

Prayer: Dear God I thank you for this day and this beautiful world which you provide for us. Thank you for having me cross the paths of people who could renew my gratitude and wonderment of your creations. Thank you for my children, my grandchildren, and my family. I am blessed. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Amen.

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: