Monday, December 08, 2008

One True Love?

Do you think you only have one shot at true love?

Not true.

It's a myth.

An article over at Beliefnet says that there are probably 10,000 people who would make you feel the same as you "think" you feel about your one and only true love.

I've been divorced for a couple of years now, but once in awhile, I "think" I miss him. It only lasts a few minutes though (grin). My memory quickly kicks in and reminds me of all the grief I endured in the name of love.

Here is a piece of their advice, which sounds good to me, especially since I believe in the power of postive thinking...

Repeat this 20 times.


“I have never left a relationship that would have made me happier than I am now.”


If you're having trouble letting go of a past love, I highly recommend reading the full article (see link below). I already knew most of it, probably because I read a lot, or maybe because I've been through it twice, but it always helps to be reminded of things you can do to move forward.

One of the things I didn't know is that we should choose to listen to books on tape instead of music, because music takes us back to memories that we are trying to get over. Makes sense. If you're going to listen to music, at least make sure it's upbeat... not one those sad love songs.

20 percent of us suffer from “complicated grief.” According Rob Stein of the Washington Post, “One of the hallmarks of complicated grief is a persistent sense of longing for the lost one and a tendency to conjure up reveries of that person.”


So here's a quick 3-step process (I like to simplify things)

1) Recognize that your lost love was not the greatest person that ever lived... so why keep romanticizing them in your head? Remember the faults, list them if you have to.

2) Remember that there are literally thousands of potential "mates" out there just waiting for you to get over it and move on.

3) Listen to inspirational tapes - not the "oldies" radio station which will only serve to take you back and make you sad.

Don’t assume a connection is sacred just because it persists.



Book to read: How to Break Your Addiction to a PersonOrder the book now

Article at Beliefnet:
* How to let go of past loves


Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

1 comment:

Mariuca said...

Hola! You’re invited to join us on a BEAR-y special meme, have fun! :)

Mariuca