Monday, December 15, 2008

What do you believe?

Poll: What do you believe?

Raging Rev has submitted a post that asks the readers to state what they believe and how their environment growing up may have contributed to their current belief system.

Here's your chance to expound on your beliefs!

Here's my answer as posted on Raging Rev's Blog...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

How nice of you to let us speak out on this topic. I was raised as a fundamentalist Baptist, but I always had questions about contradictions, the Bible being taken literally, etc. I am no longer a Baptist, and I was never a fundamentalist. Thankfully, my parents taught me to think for myself. They led by example, not with the iron fist.

I am more spiritual than religious and I am not thrilled with organized religion as it stands now. Each person is on a spiritual journey, and it is up to each of us to find our own path.

True Bible study reveals the truth - the Bible is a book, it is not inerrant and it is not meant to be taken literally. It was written by humans, some of whom chose this method to politically control the readers.

I've had many mystical or supernatural events in my life and so I know (for myself) that the Creator exists and that there are many angels and spirits around us.

I do not believe that you must agree with any particular church or denominational doctrine to experience God. I don't even believe that you need the Bible, although there are many good moral lessons to be learned there.

Meanwhile, I live my life as a spiritual seeker, striving to live in harmony with God and to be a blessing whenever I can.


Visit Raging Rev
and add your views (you can comment here also if you like!).

3 comments:

Lea said...

I just want to wish you a Happy New Year and to let you know that there is an award waiting for you. Details are on my site. Congratulations!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

You have quite an interesting spiritual beliefs. Well, to each his own beliefs or as they say, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for your post. God bless.

Sandra Cobb said...

Thanks for your comments Mel. I realize that my beliefs don't quite "fit" into the normal for Christians. But rest assured that I do believe in God, and I do believe in Jesus, but because I know them, not because the Bible tells me so. God Bless you Mel!